Sunday, June 24, 2012

Somebody's warm.

G'day. I made this coat for our lovely little pooch some years ago. It is one of a few that I have made him. On weekends hubby and I and pooch go for a walk, usually early of a morning. On the days that I don't work, I take our boy for a walk. Good exercise for us all, especially pooch and I. Hubby now works part time on a farm most days and doesn't need the exercise.


Saturday morning dawned clear and cold. I peeked out the back door to see what the morning looked like and all I saw was the backyard covered in a coat of frost.We are used to a bit of cold here in winter, so I wasn't unduly concerned. At least it wasn't raining. On with the thermal long sleeved spencer, jumper, jacket, hat, stocking, socks and jeans. Thick gloves completed the outfit. Hubby was still in bed while all this was happening and showed no sign of wanting to move. "I think I'll sleep in this morning " was all he said. Mobile phone and tissues in jeans pocket , coat and lead on pooch and off we set.


Everything was white. Puddles on the side of the road had ice on the top of them, paddocks down the bottom of the hill were nothing but white. By this stage I began to realize just how cold it was. Steam was coming out of not only my mouth, but pooches mouth as well.Scenery looked lovely, but probably better off seen from the warmth of a car. Our walk usually takes about 45-50 minutes if we go the usual way, but somehow that morning I knew that wasn't going to happen. The shorter route was more on the cards.Even pooch didn't want to dilly dally. The usual 500 wee stops that he likes to make, just weren't happening, he saw the need to keep moving in the hope that his faithful leader would see sense and take him home. Arrived home to hubby informing me that he had heard on the local radio station that it was minus 3 degrees in town here, at that particular stage. After braving one of the coldest days we had had last Wednesday and getting the train down to the big smoke, you would think that I would have more sense than to venture out on such a cold morning. As I said in my last post, growing old does not necessarily mean growing wiser in my case. I also said that I thought I had caught a chill and was coming down with something, thankfully that only lasted about 24 hours. In the photo above, poor pooch is looking pleadingly at hubby to let him in. Which of course hubby did, then firmly closed the door while I took my shoes off and they both stood inside in the warmth, looking out at me with a smile on their faces.Oh hum, one day I will learn.!!!! Take care. Liz...

5 comments:

  1. It's odd to think of Australia cold and wintry! Here it's chilly and mostly wet -- though apparently we are in for a few dry somewhat warmer days -- until next weekend's rain sets in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute pooch!
    at least they didn't lock you out in the cold Liz! (mine would of done that...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had almost forgotten the winter, although you could not call it summer here, today! It is raining and a bit cold...

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way - did I tell you I love the new header? I haven't been able to comment for a while thanks to the dratted Blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pup's coat-- he seems to like it, too :)

    ReplyDelete