Monday, February 17, 2014

A flourishing garden.

G'day. Today I had my first mammogram since being told I had breast cancer 12 months ago. It was a very quick trip into the hospital. Caught the 7.00am train for a 10.00am appointment, then caught the 11.30 am back home again. Got home at 2.00pm. Probably not such a quick trip after all !!!! It all went smoothly, at least the train trip did. Not sure about anything else. The woman who did the test was very noncommittal. They don't give much away. So I just wait and see now. But, I would be very surprised if there is any bad news. After all the cancer stuff I have had pumped into me and will continue to have for another few months, no self respecting cancer would dare grow.

I am now sitting with my feet up writing this. I am tired. My gallbladder op was only a week ago and I am still very sore. 

To walk up to our back door, you have to walk by this garden area. A little over 12 months ago, this was a useless area of very patchy grass. I knew when we moved here that I would make a garden out of it. I have always been a fan of the cottage garden look and this seemed as good a spot as any to get one growing. I dug this whole area out myself. Took me a while, but I persevered. Hubby offered to help, but I wanted to do it, so he let me go. Of course, he just retreated to a back area of the garage when he heard the grunting, swearing and cursing about how hard the soil was etc, etc and why can't we live somewhere where the soil is sweet and beautiful and easy to dig. Why do we have to stay in an area where the soil is mainly clay and as hard as old boots to dig ? So on and so forth. Well as you can see, I obviously got it done and planted. Hard to believe that this has grown from nothing to a near jungle in just over a year. A year out of my life has been taken up with cancer. A year in the life of this garden has turned into a beautiful thing. I look at it everyday and appreciate the journey this garden and I have taken together over the last 12 months. We have both flourished in many ways. An odd word to use when one has cancer, but yes, I have flourished in many ways like my garden. It will continue to grow, as will I.

Take care.
Liz...

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have been able to use the bad times to make something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just fabulous, Liz! Congratulations on your beautiful garden, which is almost as beautiful as your attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats Liz on your beautiful garden and wonderful attitude to life! one day I'm coming over your way to visit this lovely patch you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you, gardener Liz! It's lovely! You are a sparkle. Keep your feet up for a bit longer. A week is not very long and soon your incision will be all healed up. It's always so nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete