Thursday, February 6, 2014

What cancer cannot do.

G'day. It's Friday morning and I am sitting in a very comfortable chair on the oncology ward at Royal Melbourne Hospital. I am awaiting my next dose of my cancer treatment to be delivered from the pharmacy. What has taken my eye this morning is the plaque sitting on the ledge just across from me. I haven't taken a very good photo of it on this iPad. So I will tell you what it say's. 

What cancer cannot do.

Cancer is so limited
It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot dissolve faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit.

This ward is surprisingly a very happy place. Over the last 12 months hubby and I have gotton to know a lot of the regulars. Everyone is here for a reason and that reason probably involves  cancer in some way, shape or form. But, we laugh, we joke, we make merry as much as we can. Some come here every week, some twice a week. I come once every three weeks. I have it easy compared to some. A young teenage girl is sitting two chairs down from me. Her mother bakes and brings in muffins to share with everyone here. They are yummy, by the way. We are all bonded by cancer. Those words on that plaque are so, so true.

Take care.
Liz...

4 comments:

  1. Do they give each of you a copy of the words? They are so stirring ans yet so emotional I'm sure they cause a few tears at times

    Not sure if its the same hopital but Angela from The Aussie Empty Nester accompanies her friend Leanne on her chemo sessions.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very lovely words, Liz. Thank you for sharing them with us. God bless and keep you, dearest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and thanks for the visit. We go to the monash in benteigh east. We have been on this journey for almost five years. I hope and pray your journey is short and ends happily. I'll visit again soon

    ReplyDelete