Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day 2011

G'day. Earth Day seemed to pass me by good and proper this year. Usually we plant a tree and have done so for many years and some of the trees planted in the past are quite big now. We have always planted trees that are native to our area and only missed out one year because we were in New Zealand on holidays. My contribution to Earth Day this year was only to rake up some autumn leaves that are covering the ground, these leaves are used as part of the compost and at some stage always end up back on the garden as mulch. Oh well, I can console myself with knowing that I was at least outside in the fresh air working with nature to a certain extent. I look around here and never fail to realise how lucky we are to live in a beautiful part of the world and it won't matter when we move from here as beauty can be found in anything if one tries hard enough. I was told once many moons ago that by simply taking the time and looking at a tree each day and appreciating the beauty of it, could do wonders for the soul. We have trees here that have the most beautiful bark and trees that no matter what happens to them, they continue to sprout new growth. I can't in all honesty say that I do look at a tree each day and admire it's beauty. I did try this when it was first suggested to me and I think it lasted maybe a few days and then I simply forgot about checking out trees, the mind had other things to think of. I have just had a look at the large maple that is outside the  window , half of the branches are bare now, the leaves a carpet on the ground. It is a beautiful tree and I am pleased to be able to see something so fine. I don't know that I feel any better for looking at it, but I for sure don't feel any worse. I am not going to go out and hug it, but I do appreciate it for what it is and for the years that it has stood there, long before we moved here.The earth is a truly beautiful place. I hope it forever remains that way. The picture is of hubby relaxing on the couch after a hard day on the land trying to read a railway magazine (he loves steam trains as well as classic cars and motorbikes). Our gorgeous little dog "Lucky" decided that there was a comfortable spot to be had between hubby's legs. Hubby  eventually dozed off and Lucky stayed where he was for quite some time and dozed also. Man and his best friend!!! That certainly applies to these two. Take care...

2 comments:

  1. Oh go on ... give that tree a good hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tree, a bush, a young sprout. All that grows is good. And we need each other to thrive. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete